Use glitter spray paint to add sparkle to your holiday decorations. See how Rust-Oleum® Gold Glitter Spray Paint gives laser-cut trees some extra holiday cheer.
- PREPARE: Before you start, make sure you’re working in a well-ventilated area and cover your workspace with a drop cloth to protect it from overspray. Wipe down your laser-cut trees with a tack cloth to remove any dust or dirt.
- PRIME: To ensure the best coverage, use Rust-Oleum® Painter’s Touch® Ultra Cover® 2X Primer
on your trees before spray painting. Once your can is thoroughly shaken*, hold it upright 10 to 16 inches from the trees and spray in a steady, back-and-forth motion, slightly overlapping each stroke. Apply two or more light coats a few minutes apart, let the primer dry to the touch, then flip the trees over and spray the other side. Then, let the primer dry for about 20 minutes.
- PAINT: Next, paint the trees gold to give the trees a metallic base coat. Shake your can of Rust-Oleum® Stops Rust® Bright Coat Metallic Finish spray paint in Gold, and hold it upright, 10 to 16 inches from the trees. Use a sweeping motion to spray two or more light coats a few minutes apart. Let the paint dry to the touch, and then spray paint the other side of the tree. Let the paint dry for about one hour.
- GLITTER: Now it’s time to apply Rust-Oleum® Glitter Spray Paint. Shake your can of gold glitter spray paint, hold it upright 12 to 14 inches from the trees, and spray in a steady, back-and-forth motion, slightly overlapping each stroke. Apply two or more light coats a few minutes apart. Let the glitter spray paint dry to the touch, then flip the tree over and spray the other side. Let the paint dry for about 20 minutes.
- SEAL: To keep the glitter from flaking off the trees, you’ll want to coat it with Rust-Oleum® Glitter Clear Sealer. Using the same technique you used to apply the glitter spray paint, spray the Glitter Clear Sealer on your trees and set them aside to dry.
- FINISH: Let the trees dry completely for 24 hours before handling. Display your mini glitter trees on the mantel, hang them on the tree as ornaments display or use them as a table centerpiece.
*Immediately before spraying any aerosol spray paints or glitters, shake your can thoroughly for one minute after the mixing ball begins to rattle. If you’re spraying the paint for an extended period of time, we suggest shaking the can periodically throughout your application as well.